MAC to Millennium
Lacrosse Hall of Fame, National — As of 2019, 41 Terps, from both men's and women's lacrosse, have been inducted into the U.S. Lacrosse National Hall of Fame. The earliest inductee from Maryland was Reginald Van Trump Truitt, who was selected in the Hall's third class; Truitt starred in lacrosse while a student at the Maryland Agricultural College and served as the team's first coach, from 1919 to 1927. Find biographies for all these players and coaches on the Hall of Fame website.
Lacrosse, Men's — The Terrapins first fielded a men's lacrosse team in 1910 and have won twelve national championships, the first in 1928 and the most recent in 2017. They have made 25 appearances in the NCAA Semifinals. A club team played lacrosse at the college as early as 1895. More information about the team's history may be found on umterps.com.
Lacrosse, Women's — First organized in 1977 and winners of the AIAW national title in 1981; the Lady Terrapins have won fifteen NCAA national championships (1986, 1992, 1995-2001, 2010, 2014-2015, 2017, and 2019); the seven straight wins from 1995-2001 is one of the longest streaks in Division I women's athletics, exceeded only by Louisiana State University's track and field team (eleven championships, 1987 to 1997) and the University of North Carolina's soccer team (nine championships, 1986 to 1994). More information about the team's history may be found on umterps.com.
Land Grant Institution — The Maryland General Assembly designated the Maryland Agricultural College, as the University of Maryland was originally known, the state of Maryland's land grand institution on 1865, per the provisions of the Morrill Land Grant Act, signed by President Abraham Lincoln on July 2, 1862. The act allocated land in the western United States to each state, which could then sell those properties and use the funds to support a chosen educational institution. The act also mandated that the college had to provide mandatory military training and classes in agriculture and the mechanic arts.
LaPlata Hall — Dormitory constructed in 1968; named for LaPlata, Maryland, county seat of Charles County. Designed by Ted Englehardt. LaPlata was the first dormitory on campus to be air-conditioned.
Law Firm — Alumnus Keith Bruno competed on the NBC TV reality show The Law Firm, which aired in 2005. Real lawyers representing real clients competed in front of real judges and juries to win the top prize of $250,000.
Lee Building — Constructed in 1968; named for Blair Lee III, member of the Board of Regents and Lieutenant Governor of Maryland. The building features dedication plaques honoring Lee and Ben and Hotsy Alperstein, former University of Maryland boxing stars and major university supporters. Originally known as the South Administration Building.
LeFrak Hall — Constructed in 1928; renovated and expanded in 1940 and 1946. Designed by Katherine Cutler. Named for Samuel LeFrak, real estate developer and alumnus (Class of 1940). Served as the sole dining hall on campus from its opening until 1961.
Leonardtown Community — Named for Leonardtown, Maryland, county seat of St. Mary's County.
Letterwinner, First Female — Margaret Guy Schmidt (Class of 1958) was the first female athlete at the University of Maryland to earn an "M" and to join the M Club. Miss Schmidt was recognized for her accomplishments on the rifle team. At one time, she held six shooting records, and she won 200 medals and three trophies. See also M Club and M Club, Women's.
Letterwinner, Oldest — William Leo Flynn, Class of 1970, was the oldest athlete to letter at the University of Maryland. Flynn entered the university at age 40 after 20 years of military service, including time as an Army scout in the Pacific during World War II and service in Korea and Germany. He was a member of the UMD baseball team in 1967. He later taught at Baltimore Community College and Prince George's Community College.
Librarian, First — Miss Lulu Conner was hired in 1915 as the Maryland Agricultural College's first full-time professional librarian.
Libraries — As of 2019, there are six libraries on the UMD campus: McKeldin, Hornbake, Art, Architecture, Michelle Smith Performing Arts, and STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math). The UMD Libraries also administer the Priddy Library for the Universities at Shady Grove in Montgomery County. Find more information about the Libraries at the Libraries website.
Little Free Library — There are two caches of Little Free Library books on the east side of the Center for Young Children, part of an international program to encourage neighborhood book exchanges.
Long Gainer — The first known work of fiction about the University of Maryland was written by William Manchester and published by Little, Brown and Company in 1961. Copies of The Long Gainer are available through the UMD Libraries.
Lutheran Church, First Woman Ordained — The first woman ordained in the Lutheran Church in the United States was campus chaplain Beth Platz, who served the UMD community from 1965 to 2016.